As you watch your neighbor head out on Saturday morning in his Shelby Cobra kit car you are leaving the house in the family van. With both kids in tow, you are headed for a drop off at gymnastics for your daughter and then heading to your son’s soccer practice.
This is your life.
It will not, however, always be this way.
Some day you, too, can chose a car out of passion, instead of function. You will be able to head out on a Saturday morning driving your Shelby Cobra kit car heading toward no specific destination. Just a day out enjoying the nice weather in a sporty little car that does not need room for leotards and soccer balls.
Classic Muscle Cars and Other Roadsters Are Fun Driving Options
Speed is the goal of many who own a classic sports car. From attending car shows to making sure that you make it to the regular monthly meetings of like minded car owners, few things are more fun than finding a place to be out on the open road or on a closed track to test the speed of your favorite, or newest, car purchase.
Consider some of these statistics about the some of the most popular road cars that enthusiasts enjoy:
- Weighing in at almost 500 pounds less than Chevrolet Corvette, Shelby’s original AC Cobras were designed to be “Corvette-Beaters.”
- Short tracks, speedways, and super speedways that range from 0.5 to 2.5 miles long are among the average race tracks that are available to most drivers.
- Cobras are known for weighing much less, especially when some roadsters or racing cars can weigh as much as 3,400 pounds.
- On a British motorway in 1964, an AC Cobra Coupe famously reached 186 miles per hour.
- Carroll Shelby built 350 big-block and 654 small-block Cobras versions between the years 1962 and 1968.
- Although the actual horsepower was close to 400, manufacturer’s advertised the horsepower of the Shelby Mustang GT 500 as 335 in an effort to appease insurance companies.
You may still be stuck driving kids to and from practice in the family van for now, but at some point you may find yourself looking for a faster, more fun to drive roadster.